New Member Spotlight – Sheela Becton
Lives in: Silver Spring, MD
Social Media: @sheelabectoncreates, https://www.linkedin.com/in/sheelacreates/
Media and subjects: Oil, Acrylic and Mixed media, Culture, Nature, Positive expressions, Women empowerment
Why you joined MAA: To meet other like-minded Artists who want to see Art evolve and collaborate, to participate in art events in the county.
Have you participated in any MAA shows or events so far? I have participated in the ongoing summer theme exhibit at Windridge Vineyards. I look forward to participating in more upcoming exhibits.
Something fun about you: I love to cook and sing, and I speak 5 languages.
Artist Biography: Sheela Becton was born and raised in India and moved to the US in 1997. She lives in Silver Spring, Maryland, where she embraces her love for painting. Sheela believes that “Art is a language that transcends boundaries and brings people together.” Her paintings draw inspiration from different themes going back to her Indian culture and roots; colors and textures of nature, and female strength and determination. Her memories, stories, and emotions come together to convey that art tells the story of many cultures and we as a human race have so much in common.
Her works capture the moments and memories she treasures from her life and travels in India. She relives these precious moments through her art showing how personal history and memory are tied to a place and how visual representation can communicate experiences.
Sheela believes in painting with a purpose; to spread positivity, encourage healing through art, and uplift others. In her efforts towards that end, she has collaborated with Hope Works of Howard County. The organization’s mission is to support and advocate for people affected by sexual and intimate partner violence. Sheela’s work has been featured in the Hope Works’ arts magazine, Dragonfly, four times since 2015. In 2021 her painting “Love” was featured on the cover of Hope Collected, an anthology celebrating the best of Dragonfly entries since its inception in 2014.
List of juried Exhibitions, Artist talk, Artist Panel discussion and Publications:
· “Dragonfly, poetry reading and art exhibit” 2019
· ‘Colors of India - People, Places, Festivals and Landscapes’ at Bernice Kish Art Gallery at Slayton House September-October 2022
· Artist talk on ‘Color culture of India’ – October 17th, 2023 Bernice Kish Art gallery, Columbia, MD
· ‘Colors of Nature’ at Brookside Gardens January 2023 – March 2023.
· ‘Soulmates’ Love themed Exhibit at ‘Girls who paint’ -February 2023
· ‘Joy’ and ‘Spring Blooms’ Blossoms of hope Exhibit at Columbia Art Center April 2023
· ‘Golden Forest’ won second place in people’s choice awards at the First Friday gallery, May5-June5th 2023
· Nominated for Baltimore magazine readers poll in the Visual Arts space May 2023
· ‘Women of Color Art Expo’ The 3rd Inc at Columbia, MD, June 23-25th 2023
· Ongoing Exhibits – ‘Carefree sense of Summer’ at Windridge Vineyards June – October 2023
· ‘Experiencing Freedom’ at Sebrof-Forbes cultural center for Arts, Kensington Maryland. June 17th 2023
· ‘Expressing freedom through Art’ Participated in Panel discussion, June 17th, 2023
· ‘Spread your wings’ painting published in Dragonfly Magazine by Hope works of Howard County – June 2023
· ‘Blooms of Hope’ ‘Golden Forest’ and ‘The scarf’ showing at the 3rd Inc, Columbia MD, July-September 2023