Annual Valentine Card Contest and Winter Get Together, February 8, 2017
Join Montgomery Art Association Wednesday, February 8 for our annual Valentine Card Contest and Social Get Together, 6:30 to 8:30 pm.
MAA members bring their candidate valentines and attendees vote for the valentine that they like the best. Winners receive Plaza gift certificates!
Besides the valentine contest, there will be time to network and discuss news with other MAA members.
Bring something sweet or savory to share and something to drink.
All MAA meetings occur in the classroom area of the New Masters Art Gallery located at Artists & Makers 2 (previously the Washington ArtWorks location) and begin with arrivals and a social time at 6:30 pm. The program then starts promptly at 7:00 and ends around 8:30 pm.
Artists & Makers Studios 2 is located at 12276 Wilkins Avenue in Rockville, MD 20852. Wilkins Avenue is just off of Parklawn, north of Randolph Road. There is plenty of parking. Pull into the parking lot between the two buildings. Go in the door of the building on the left and follow the signs to the meeting location (usually on the third floor in the classroom through the New Masters Art Gallery).
MAA invites members and prospective members to our monthly programs held in the classroom area at the New Masters Art Gallery located in the Artists & Makers Studios facilities in Rockville the second Wednesday during October, November, January, March, April, and May. There is a “social time” from 6:30 – 7:00 pm with the evening program starting promptly at 7:00 pm. The sessions usually end around 8:30 pm.
Program speakers are artists, instructors, or others knowledgeable in related areas like marketing and selling. We may have a lecture, a demonstration of materials or techniques, or a peer-critique of members’ works.
Programs are generally well attended, so arrive early for the best seats!
Upcoming MAA Exhibits and Community Events
MAA sponsors many exhibits of its members’ work.
- Every month there is a new MAA member show at the MAA Gallery in Westfield Wheaton (currently closed).
- Some exhibits occur annually like our June show at the Friendship Heights Village Center and the Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Show.
- Other shows occur at venues like the Brookside Gardens Visitor Center or the Artistic Gallery in Wheaton.
MAA also sponsors “Special Shows” which are discussed in more detail below. These shows are in smaller venues and are changed periodically to fit the needs of each space.
MAA also participates in community events like the annual Kensington “Day of the Book” festival in April, the “Taste of Wheaton” festival, and other events held at the Westfield Wheaton mall.
Specifics for all MAA events are found in the calendar located on this page and details for those events coming soon are presented below.
Different from our larger venues like the Kensington Armory, Friendship Heights Village Center, Brookside Gardens Visitor Center, or the Artistic Gallery, “special shows” provide smaller, more intimate opportunities for members to display and sell their work.
Current “Special Shows” venues are:
- Amici Miei is an awarding-winning and popular Italian restaurant located at 1093 Seven Locks Road in Potomac, MD 20854. Shows are quarterly and feature 5-6 artists and 24 paintings in an exhibit that changes approximately every 6 weeks. About a week after each show opens, a reception is held at the restaurant. Registration for the show is done online through the MAA website and announcements of show registrations are made to the MAA membership.
- Town of Kensington Public Rooms. Participation in the MAA annual “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend show requires that one piece reflect the scenery or spirit of the Town of Kensington. Seeing the wonderful depictions of Kensington prepared for the show, former Mayor Peter Fosselman asked if MAA could orchestrate an ongoing art exhibit for the town’s public meeting rooms–the Conference Room and the Town Council Room.
Normally, the duration for this exhibit is one year—-Labor Day Show to Labor Day Show—-although if an artist requires a piece before then, it can be removed from the show. Artists should simply tell MAA and the Town staff (on the third floor) that they are picking up their piece.
To make it simple for drop-off and pick-up, the show is hung right after pickup of unsold art work on Tuesday, 9:30 am to noon after the Labor Day Show. Artists wanting to participate are asked to bring their Kensington piece(s) (or other subject matter) to the Town Council Room on the first floor of the Armory along with the Labor Day Show label for their piece(s). Those artists who participated in the previous exhibit are asked to pick up their piece(s) from that exhibit at the same time as well.
The show is hung immediately at 12:30 pm. Artists wishing to help hang the show are welcome.
While a work of any subject can be in the show, this is a wonderful exhibit to display the Kensington-related pieces from the Labor Day Show. The work hung in the show can be for sale and Town staff will manage any sales without a commission charge.
- MedStar Health, Olney is located at MedStar Health Cardiology Associates, 18101 Prince Phillip Drive in Olney, MD. Paintings are on display at MedStar for six months. There is space for approximately 18 paintings. The venue will permit up to six artists per show. Each artist may register up to three pieces to be displayed. Because of the layout of the space, it is a particularly appropriate venue for larger art works. The display walls are in a corridor that is open to the Cardiology Associates waiting area on two sides. Artists are permitted to replace pieces as they sell. All sales are between the artist and the buyer. No commission is assessed. Registration for the show is done online through the MAA website and announcements of show registrations are made to the MAA membership.