Celebrating 60 Years of Service to Artists and the Art Community
Welcome to the website of the Montgomery Art Association (MAA). Established in 1954, and incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit in 1991, MAA supports the visual arts in the Washington Metropolitan area. Our members, 18 and over, come from throughout the area, including Maryland, Virginia, and DC. They include beginning and experienced artists, amateurs as well as professionals, working in a variety of media and styles. We sponsor regular lectures and artist demonstrations, member exhibits, museum field trips, a Gallery store in a major shopping center, an online Members display and sales Gallery, and community outreach through our children’s art activities and college scholarship program. Join us! All are welcome, and our membership dues are only $40/year ($20/year for full-time college students).
This website is a resource for our members as well as for those looking to learn more about MAA and its events, the arts in our area, and the work of our members. Reviewing the site briefly:
- HOME provides the MAA calendar, contact information and important member links for show registrations and special events.
- ABOUT US contains more information about MAA and its history, its officers, and sponsors.
- ONLINE GALLERY/SALES contains images of members’ work, some of which may be available for sale by the artists and EVENTS describes current and upcoming MAA happenings.
- NEWS/ARTPORTUNITIES provides news about member artists and also lists show opportunities or exhibits of potential member interest and RESOURCES provides listings of members providing art-related services, information about using the website’s online services to manage membership or show registrations, other area art associations, and past MAA newsletters. SHOW FLYERS links to a page containing publicity flyers related to various MAA shows.
- MEMBERSHIP–JOIN/UPDATE is the link to use if you want to join MAA, or if you are a member, to renew or update your MAA membership information. This link is also the one members should use to add images to the MAA members online gallery.
- WESTFIELD WHEATON STORE provides information about our MAA Gallery store in Westfield Wheaton. The MAA Gallery is in a fabulous space on the second floor close to the Costco entrance, next to Hallmark Cards, and across from Panera and Elevation Burger.
Latest Message from the President
It’s May and spring is here! Well, almost here? Or, maybe it will come soon? What a strange spring it has been. I have seen all of the notices flying around about people wanting to get outside and paint after being inside all winter. But we all know, with Washington weather, we will soon be complaining about how hot it is!
On the brighter side, one thing that does not change with the weather is the activities of the MAA. We are in full bloom with our springtime activities. The Friendship Heights Show is coming up very soon. Look for the notices of the registration form that will be located on our website. We are honored to have Christine Lashley as our show judge. Christine is an instructor at the Yellow Barn where she teaches classes and workshops in both watercolor and oil painting both plein air and studio. The Friendship Heights Show is one of our popular annual events. Go to the “FH Form” on the MAA website to print the registration form. It is available now. Don’t miss this annual opportunity.
Of course, we have our continuing MAA Gallery Show. This month we are featuring artist member Carol Bouville. Her interview is included in this newsletter. Carol has been exploring some new techniques to add to her arsenal of watercolor skills. Her show will begin on Tuesday, April 29 and run through May 26. Carol will be hosting a reception in the Gallery on Sunday, May 4 from 1-5 PM. Please come by and talk to Carol about her new work. Happily, we have committed “Featured Artists” for the Gallery through the September show. Names for October to December will be drawn at an upcoming MAA event. If you are interested, get your name into the canister at the Gallery and be ready for the next drawing.
We also have the WSSC show registration deadline coming up on May 15. The show hanging is Monday, June 2. The show will run until June 30. There is room for approximately 40 pieces so don’t delay in registering. It’s first come, first served.
The interim switch on our continuing show as Amici Miei will take place on May 18. That show will run until June 29.
In other news, it will be of interest to members that MAA has made it’s annual scholarship fund contribution to Montgomery College. The College will decide which of their students is most deserving. That individual will be recognized at an appropriate MAA event in the months ahead. Also, as I mentioned before, the Board approved an additional scholarship to be granted to a local high school art program. We are still working on identifying which program that will be. I will keep you informed as we move forward.
And, of course, don’t forget the upcoming Kensington Labor Day Paint the Town Event. It’s never too early to start working on your mandatory Kensington Painting. As I noted before, our judge will be Glen Kessler who operates a studio at Washington ArtWorks and teaches at the Yellow Barn. We are very pleased to have Glen as our judge.
In the April issue, I reported that we would continue our MAA 60th Birthday Celebration. I am very pleased to announce that our new MAA t-shirts and artist aprons displaying our colorful MAA 60Th Anniversary logo are now available for sale. Thanks go to Vicky Surles for working with the vendor to secure a good price and a quality product. The shirts and aprons will be for sale at MAA events and at the Gallery. The shirts and aprons are on sale for $15 each or 2 for $20. I hope that you will take advantage of this opportunity to purchase a remembrance of 60 years of service. I have already reserved a shirt and an apron for myself. These items also make terrific gifts for your artist friends. Check it out!
In closing, you will note in the new member section that we continue to grow our association membership. The value of what MAA offers to local artists in terms of showing their artwork continues to draw new people into our MAA family. Please welcome all of our new members.
That’s it for this month. Take care and keep painting.
MAA-Now celebrating 60 Years of service to local artists.