Welcome to the website of the Montgomery Art Association (MAA), the oldest art association in Montgomery County, Maryland. Established in 1954, and incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit in 1991, MAA supports the visual arts in the Washington Metropolitan area. Our members, 18 and over, come from throughout the area, including Maryland, Virginia, DC, and even as far away as the Eastern Shore. They include beginning and experienced artists, amateurs as well as professionals, working in a variety of media and styles. In support of our increasing membership, we sponsor regular lectures and artist demonstrations, member exhibits, museum field trips, a Gallery store in a major shopping center, an online Members Gallery, and community outreach through our children’s art activities and college scholarship program. Join us! All are welcome, and our membership dues are only $30/year ($15/year for college students). Note: Membership dues will increase to $40/year for regular memberships and $20/year for college students beginning with the 2013-2014 membership year beginning September 1, 2013.
This website is intended as a resource for our members as well as for those looking to learn more about MAA and its events, the arts in our area, and the work of our members. Reviewing the site briefly:
- HOME provides the MAA calendar, contact information and important member links for show registrations and special events.
- ABOUT US contains more information about MAA and its history, its officers, and sponsors.
- ONLINE GALLERY/SALES contains images of members’ work, some of which may be available for sale by the artists and EVENTS describes current and upcoming MAA happenings.
- NEWS/ARTPORTUNITIES provides news about member artists and also lists show opportunities or exhibits of potential member interest and RESOURCES provides listings of members providing art-related services, information about using the website’s online services to manage membership or show registrations, other area art associations, and past MAA newsletters. FLYERS/FORMS provides links to publicity flyers and forms related to MAA shows.
- MEMBERSHIP–JOIN/UPDATE is the link to use if you want to join MAA, or if you are a member to renew or update your MAA membership information. This link is also the one members should use to add images to the MAA members online gallery.
- WESTFIELD WHEATON STORE provides information about our MAA Gallery store in Westfield Wheaton. The MAA Gallery is in a fabulous space next to JCPenney’s mall entrance on the first floor.
Latest Message from the President
We’re coming to the end of the 2012-2013 MAA “season.” We had our last meeting of the season on May 8—a wonderful presentation by Susan Herron. We’ve hung, or are in the process of hanging pieces for a number of our Spring/Summer shows—Daily Dish, Amici Miei, WSSC, Brookside Gardens, and the Friendship Heights Village Center. And, after this issue, we will be taking a short hiatus from the newsletter publishing “biz.” You will receive your next newsletter toward the end of August, close to our big “Paint the Town” Kensington Labor Day Show.
But that doesn’t mean it should be “vacation” time from MAA and painting for you. For one thing, the shows at Daily Dish, Amici Miei and WSSC will be turning over in the summer and will need new participants and pieces.
Secondly, you need to make sure to get your Kensington painting done (a piece that reflects the ambience/spirit of Kensington zip code 20895) so that you can enter our biggest show of the year—the Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Show.
Third, there will be shows every month in the MAA Gallery in Westfield Wheaton. If you haven’t participated yet, now would be a good time to get involved. The new location is fabulous!
Fourth, we have social activities planned like our Summer Social Get-Together at the MAA Gallery in Westfield Wheaton, July 10 6:30 – 8:30 pm (bring something sweet or savory to share and something to drink). And, there is our Art Activity tent for children at the Taste of Wheaton street festival on June 9 (see the article elsewhere in this newsletter for more information.)
Stay in touch with MAA by looking at our website often. We will be keeping it up to date on the latest activities and shows, and all shows will be listed on the Home page on the right side once they are available for registration. You will be able to enroll online for all shows.
The Labor Day Show will be available for online registration beginning July 15. Watch for an “alert” email announcing when the show is posted for online enrollment. At the same time, you will be able to renew your membership online as well. For full information for the Labor Day Show, the show flyer is available on the website—just click Flyers/Forms on the menu bar.
This is my last President’s Message to you because my term as president ends May 31. It has been my privilege to serve as your president for the last three years. The ideas, efforts, and support of our dedicated MAA Board members, as well as the MAA membership, have allowed MAA to grow and to provide an extensive array of benefits and opportunities for its membership. MAA is on an exciting path that will undoubtedly continue under the leadership of new MAA president, Michael Shibley, and the newly elected Board.
I will remain involved supporting Gallery and website operations. I look forward to everyone’s continued participation and to seeing all of you “around.”