Celebrating 60 Years of Service to Artists and the Art Community
Welcome to the website of the Montgomery Art Association (MAA). Established in 1954, and incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit in 1991, MAA supports the visual arts in the Washington Metropolitan area. Our members, 18 and over, come from throughout the area, including Maryland, Virginia, and DC. They include beginning and experienced artists, amateurs as well as professionals, working in a variety of media and styles. We sponsor regular lectures and artist demonstrations, member exhibits, museum field trips, a Gallery store in a major shopping center, an online Members display and sales Gallery, and community outreach through our children’s art activities and college scholarship program. Join us! All are welcome, and our membership dues are only $40/year ($20/year for full-time college students).
This website is a resource for our members as well as for those looking to learn more about MAA and its events, the arts in our area, and the work of our members. Reviewing the site briefly:
- HOME provides the MAA calendar, contact information and important member links for show registrations and special events.
- ABOUT US contains more information about MAA and its history, its officers, and sponsors.
- ONLINE GALLERY/SALES contains images of members’ work, some of which may be available for sale by the artists and EVENTS describes current and upcoming MAA happenings.
- NEWS/ARTPORTUNITIES provides news about member artists and also lists show opportunities or exhibits of potential member interest and RESOURCES provides listings of members providing art-related services, information about using the website’s online services to manage membership or show registrations, other area art associations, and past MAA newsletters. SHOW FLYERS links to a page containing publicity flyers related to various MAA shows.
- MEMBERSHIP–JOIN/UPDATE is the link to use if you want to join MAA, or if you are a member, to renew or update your MAA membership information. This link is also the one members should use to add images to the MAA members online gallery.
- WESTFIELD WHEATON STORE provides information about our MAA Gallery store in Westfield Wheaton. The MAA Gallery is in a fabulous space on the second floor close to the Costco entrance, next to Hallmark Cards, and across from Panera and Elevation Burger.
Latest Message from the President
As you are reading this edition of the MAA News, the Kensington Labor Day Show, PAINT THE TOWN will be in full operation. We are looking forward to another very successful event. The October issue will feature full coverage of all aspects of the show including the award winners from the main show as well as the plein-air competition. I want to thank our Judge, Glen Kessler, for taking the time to assist us in the judging of over 500 pieces of artwork. It’s a big task and I am sure Glen will do a great job.
While the Labor Day Show is in progress, we continue to operate our MAA Gallery in Wheaton. Our featured artist this month is Robin Frosh. Please take a moment to read her interview with Judith Levine. Robin’s family background led her to pursue her art interests. Her show will be on display in the Gallery beginning Tuesday, August 26 and running through Sunday, September 28 with a Meet the Artist reception on Sunday, September 7 from 1:00 – 5:00 PM. Don’t let the Labor Day Show get in the way of visiting the Gallery in September to see Robin’s work.
As I have noted on many occasions, the work of the members of the MAA Board in creating the value of your membership continues to be impressive. For example, our shows coordinator Virginia Monet puts in lots of hours identifying locales for shows that give you the opportunity to display your work. Her work with Amici Mei, the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission and Daily Dish is what makes those opportunities happen. Thanks to Virginia for her efforts.
Likewise, Janet Fox, recently elected to the Board as our Social Media Chair, has done excellent work with our outreach programs on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and other appropriate sites. We have gotten a number of “likes” on our Facebook page due to Janet’s energetic approach to our sites. Thanks to Janet for her hard work.
As you will notice in the “New Members” section, we have gotten quite a few new members over the summer months. Some of those did not get recognized in the June or August issue but I think we have caught up with everyone. My apologies to any new members whose names were inadvertently missed. We value your membership and want to everything possible to welcome you to the MAA family.
In last month’s Newsletter I recognized the substantial donation made to MAA by the family of Gertrude Wetmore who was president of MAA in 1981-82. In the near future, after the Board has had a chance to the discuss how it will be done, there will be a fund-raising auction open to MAA members who will be able to purchase frames, paper, mats, stretchers and more. This will probably happen in October or November.
Finally, thanks to everyone who stepped up to help make the organization and promotion of the Paint The Town Show successful. It takes a lot of work by a lot of people to make an event of that size operate smoothly. Once again, the members came through!
That’s it for this month. Take care and keep painting.
MAA-Now celebrating 60 Years of service to local artists.