2017 Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Show
– Show Dates: Saturday, September 2 through Monday, September 4, 2017
– Registration Dates: July 3 to August 11, 2017 (online by midnight)
– Art Delivery Dates: August 31, and Sept 1, 2017
– Location: Kensington Town Hall/Armory, 3710 Mitchell Street, Kensington, MD 20895
Link to Volunteer Signup: https://VolunteerSignup.org/YXFCM
More information about the Show to download:
- Prospectus Explaining Show Details: MAA 2017 Paint the Town Labor Day Weekend Show Prospectus
- Online Show Registration Instructions: MAA 2017 Paint the Town Online Registration Instructions
- Link to Volunteer Signup: https://VolunteerSignup.org/YXFCM
- Show Flyer: MAA 2017 Paint the Town Labor Day Weekend Show Flyer
“PAINT THE TOWN 2017” Plein Air Event Information
– RULES –
Saturday, Sept 2, 2017 (from Daybreak to 3:00 PM)
The Plein Air Event competition is an open show within the main show with separate competitions for youths and adults. Artwork must be completed between daybreak and 3:00 PM, Saturday, September 2. Participation in the main show is not required. Artworks will be judged for awards beginning at 3:00 PM. Artwork will be on display and available for sale, if desired, through Monday.
Award winners will be recognized at the Saturday evening Awards Reception from 6:00 – 8:00 PM.
- $10 for non-members 18 and over. No charge to MAA members.
- Minors (under 18 years old) must have the written permission of their guardians and must be accompanied by an adult at all times. MAA is not responsible for the safety/security of Plein Air Event participants.
- Payment will be accepted in form of checks and cash only. Please note on the form if the artist will NOT be entering their painting for sale and/or in the competition.
- All artists must complete the full registration form with FULL contact information.
Registration Dates: Thursday, August 31, 5:00-7:00 PM; Friday, September 1, 9:00 – 11:00 AM, or Saturday, September 2, from 8:00 – 11:30 AM. Register in person at the Kensington Town Hall Armory, 3710 Mitchell Street, Kensington, MD.
Competition Rules: All work must be completed between daybreak and returned by 3pm on Saturday for the judging and for sale. Judging will begin at 3pm sharp. One painting per artist may be entered for the competition. There will be a separate judging for children, youths, and adults.
All art MUST be of the Kensington area in the artist’s preferred medium and style. Artwork may be framed only “AFTER” the judging process is complete.
The Artist’s name, phone number and a price should be listed on the back of each artwork. Labels will be available during the take-in at the Armory.
All sold Plein Air artwork on display for sale will remain in the show with a red sales dot until 3:30 PM on Monday, September 4 when customer pickup begins.
Please be sure to have your canvas or paper stamped at the Armory prior to beginning to paint.
Only artwork on stamped canvases, panel, or paper will be considered for the judging and prize awards on Saturday.
2017 Paint the Town Show Announcement and Call to Artists–Message sent July 3
Registration dates: July 3 – August 11; Register online
The Montgomery Art Association and the Town of Kensington cordially invite the public to attend our premier Kensington 2017 “PAINT THE TOWN” Labor Day Weekend Art Show, on September 2 – 4, at the Kensington Town Hall/Armory, 3710 Mitchell Street, Kensington, MD 20895.
This signature event begins on Saturday with a youth and adult “Plein Air Event” competition with artists painting throughout the town. The main show runs concurrently with the Kensington Labor Day Festival and Parade. On exhibit will be a dynamic collection of multiple media works of 500+ entries from over 145 of our finest metropolitan area artists. The MAA is a nonprofit art organization which supports the visual arts, children’s art programs, and local college art scholarships.
The Prospectus and Registration will be available online from 7/3 – 8/11. Entries will be received on a first-come, first-served basis as space permits. Artists (18 yrs. and over) are invited to join and submit entries. Multiple cash prizes will be awarded in these categories: Kensington, Landscape, Still Life, Portrait (people and animals), and Abstract/3D (sculpture). One piece must be based on a subject within the 20895 zip code of Kensington (abstract interpretations ok). “Best in Show” will be awarded from the Kensington category. Promotional efforts are in the works now for this exciting art event.
We are pleased to announce Walt Bartman as our judge for the event. Walt Bartman is the Director and founder of the Yellow Barn in Glen Echo and the co-founder of the Griffin Art Center, Frederick, MD. He is an internationally-collected landscape artist and renowned local instructor offering painting classes, and national/international workshops. Examples of Walt’s new work can be seen on his website.
Message from Labor Day Show Chair: Pat Choquette–Message Sent June 3
Mark Your Calendars for our “PAINT THE TOWN” Labor Day Weekend Art Show!
Our annual MAA Kensington Labor Day Weekend Art Show will be held on Sat, Sept 2 – Mon, Sept 4 this year, at the Kensington Town Hall/Armory. Artists are invited to participate. One work must be based on a subject within the 20895 zip code of Kensington – a requirement for participation. Our Labor Day Weekend Show is very well attended and is quite successful.
*REGISTRATION for the show will begin and end EARLIER this year (please note), along with renewal of MAA membership. If you will be entering in several categories, consider beginning work on your entries now. We encourage your latest and best work as always for the show.
The Labor Day Weekend Show will also include 2D visual and 3D sculptural art to be judged for several awards in the following categories: Kensington, Landscape, Still Life, Portrait (people and animals), and Abstract/3D. One painting in the Kensington category is chosen for the “Best in Show” winner of the Bertha Clum award. Binwork will be allowed also. Over 500+ works are exhibited annually in this show that runs concurrently with the Kensington Labor Day Parade and Festival.
Our “Plein Air Event” will be held on Saturday, Sept 2nd, starting at daybreak. Artists “paint the town” of Kensington on this day, creating excitement for the area and neighboring communities. You may even catch a glimpse of the press.
– There will also be an Invitational for accomplished artists and instructors also who have participated with MAA in some way. Their artwork will be judged separately for award(s) also.
– The Labor Day show Prospectus with full details will be posted soon, along with a Volunteer Sign-up once registration begins on July 3rd.
We welcome and encourage all volunteers. If you would like to volunteer early please contact:
Pat Choquette, Show Chairman, at Custom_Interiors@ChoquetteInteriorDesign.com or 301-633-6173 (please leave a message). Help is needed in many areas of the show.
Wishing everyone much excitement and success creating your art as we prepare for our Paint the Town Art Show!
– Pat Choquette, Paint the Town Show Chairman (301-633-6173)
MAA Show Flyers
Flyers are prepared for shows that the MAA sponsors. The flyers are posted here so that participants can use them in their communications with their friends and clients.
2016 Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Show
The 2016 “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Art Show was wonderful! Participating artists entered one piece indicative of the Town of Kensington, or within the 20895 zip code (as well as their other pieces). We had 120 participating artists and over 500 artworks! And great sales too!
– Show program in ready-to-print pages: 2016 Kensington Paint the Town Program
– Information about the show: 2016 “Paint the Town” Labor Day Show Information Form
– Registration Instructions: 2016 “Paint the Town” Labor Day Show Online Registration Instructions
– Show flyer: 2016 Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Art Show Flyer