2017 Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Show
– Show Dates: Saturday, September 2 through Monday, September 4, 2017
– Hours: 11 am – 5 pm Saturday and Sunday; 9:30 am – 5:30 pm on Monday
– Location: The Kensington Town Hall/Armory, 3710 Mitchell Street, Kensington, MD 20895
We are pleased to have Walt Bartman judge our show this year. Walt Bartman is the Director and founder of the Yellow Barn in Glen Echo, and the co-founder of the Griffin Art Center, Frederick, Maryland. He is an internationally-collected landscape artist and renowned local instructor offering painting classes and national/international workshops. Examples of his new work may be found on his website.
NEW this year: We will have special Artist Demonstrations by accomplished and highly talented artists Glen Kessler and Alison Menke.
Alison Menke’s demonstration will be “en Plein Air” on Saturday, September 2, from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm (weather permitting). Alison is a local and national Plein Air artist, inspired from childhood by her great-grandmother, Georgia Leigh Caldwell, an American Impressionist artist. Alison’s degree in Art and Art History was earned from the University of Maryland College Park School of Art. Her artistic journey began in 2011 on a solitary trip to Colorado which turned into a five month exploration of plein air. Alison painted and sold her work daily on site. She has spent the past three years attending plein air competitions and festivals. 2016 and 2017 Honors – 11 competitions, receiving 14 awards. Alison currently travels around the world in search of new painting inspirations.
Glen Kessler will be demonstrating the creation of a “Pet Portrait” in the Armory on Sunday, September 3, from 1:00 – 3:00 pm. Glen is an internationally collected and awarded artist as well as the founder of The Compass Atelier in Rockville, Maryland. Kessler has an MFA from New York Academy of Art (summa cum laude) and a BFA from Maryland Institute College of Art (also, summa cum laude). His works have graced the cover of Professional Artist Magazine and appeared in The Artists’ Magazine and other publications.
- Prospectus Explaining Show Details: MAA 2017 Paint the Town Labor Day Weekend Show Prospectus
- Show Flyer: MAA 2017 Paint the Town Labor Day Weekend Show Flyer
“PAINT THE TOWN 2017” Plein Air Event Information
– RULES –
Saturday, September 2, 2017 (from Daybreak to 3:00 pm)
The Plein Air Event competition is an open show within the main show with separate competitions for youths and adults. Artwork must be completed between daybreak and 3:00 pm, Saturday, September 2. Participation in the main show is not required. Artworks will be judged for awards beginning at 3:00 pm. Artwork will be on display and available for sale, if desired, through Monday.
Award winners will be recognized at the Saturday evening Awards Reception from 6:00 – 8:00 pm.
- $10 for non-members 18 and over. No charge to MAA members.
- Minors (under 18 years old) must have the written permission of their guardians and must be accompanied by an adult at all times. MAA is not responsible for the safety/security of Plein Air Event participants.
- Payment will be accepted in form of checks and cash only. Please note on the form if the artist will NOT be entering their painting for sale and/or in the competition.
- All artists must complete the full registration form with FULL contact information.
Registration Dates: Thursday, August 31, 5:00 – 7:00 pm; Friday, September 1, 9:00 – 11:00 am, or Saturday, September 2, from 8:00 – 11:30 am. Register in person at the Kensington Town Hall/Armory, 3710 Mitchell Street, Kensington, MD 20895.
Competition Rules: All work must be completed between daybreak and returned by 3:00 pm on Saturday for the judging and for sale. Judging will begin at 3:00 pm sharp. One painting per artist may be entered for the competition. There will be a separate judging for children, youths, and adults.
All art MUST be of the Kensington area in the artist’s preferred medium and style. Artwork may be framed only “AFTER” the judging process is complete.
The Artist’s name, phone number and a price should be listed on the back of each artwork. Labels will be available during the take-in at the Armory.
All sold Plein Air artwork on display for sale will remain in the show with a red sales dot until 3:30 pm on Monday, September 4 – when customer pickup begins.
– Please be sure to have your canvas or paper stamped at the Armory prior to beginning to paint.
– Only artwork on stamped canvases, panel, or paper will be considered for the judging and prize awards on Saturday.
2016 Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Show
The 2016 “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Art Show was wonderful! We had 120 participating artists and over 500 artworks! And great sales too!
– Show program in ready-to-print pages: 2016 Kensington Paint the Town Program
– Show flyer: 2016 Kensington “Paint the Town” Labor Day Weekend Art Show Flyer
MAA Show Flyers
Flyers are prepared for shows that the MAA sponsors. The flyers are posted here so that participants can use them in their communications with their friends and clients.